I have this most days for breakfast, I prep it so one batch gives me four breakfasts, it is so tasty, filling, healthy and vegan.
This is taken from the Fork Over Knives website (see above link for their recipe), however, I do it slightly different, see my version below. You can try both the Fork Over Knives recipe and my version to see which one you prefer. I don’t use cloves, salt, raisins or apples (I have an oral allergy to apples)
I add banana and mash it up in the bowl once the dish is cooked. I sometimes add thawed frozen blueberries or raspberries, if they are not thawed I just add to dish and leave overnight for eating the next day. I occasionally add slivered almonds too.
- 1 cup of uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup pitted and chopped Medjool dates (you can use any dates, medjool are just my preference)
- Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Teaspoon vanilla essence
- Teaspoon of Pumpkin or Sunflower seeds (or both)
- Nut Butter (peanut, almond (my favourite) or cashew)
- 2 Bananas
- Blueberries or raspberries (optional but recommended)
- Slivered almonds (optional)
- Cook 1 cup of brown rice and drain and add back to pan
- Add to cooked rice; medjool dates, cinnamon and vanilla essence.
- Simmer with lid on pan on a low to medium heat for 12-15 minutes
Options for adding to cooked dish
- Pumpkin or Sunflower seeds (or both)
- Nut Butter of your choice
- Banana (mash up)
- Blueberries or raspberries
- Slivered almonds if required